Friday, May 6, 2011

Thor

For he who is worthy to lift this hammer shall possess the power of Thor.



Unfortunately I was not able to move it a smidge. It would be wise of you to test your might and go see Thor. By the power of Mjolnir, what a way to start the summer blockbuster season.  (Update in the morning for I am tired and I need my Odinsleep)

After a much needed Odinsleep, I am back to give you all a complete review of the Summer's first movie.

Thor is a mythical character based on Old Norse legends that were very popular during the Viking Age. He lives along with all of the other gods of the universe in a Realm called Asgard that is at the top of all other realms known to make up the entire universe. This is known as the Tree of Life, or World Tree, named Yggdrasil. To try to understand Thor's world, Asgard and the 9 Realms (including Earth, known as Midgard) as a avid comic reader is hard enough. You need a lot of imagination. So how does a movie help the non comic reading audience relate to an idea of a mythical world that can be reached only by rainbow bridge. Easy, Science Fiction.

I now have a better understanding of the inter-workings of the world of Thor because this movie has based it in the possibility of science fiction. The writers broke the mythical legends down into concepts that help prove modern day science thinking and made Thor possibly a real person. This is what I thought was going to be the hardest part of telling this story as a movie. I was blown away on how simple it was to accept. As simple as accepting Captain Kirk can be transported from his spaceship to another planet. It is believable because we desire to progress as a civilization and reach for the stars. What is the stars could reach back?

With that said, I think this movie hits on all marks. The cast is exceptional. I thought the character development might have a problem because there were so many to introduce, but I was proven wrong on that point. The main characters were given plenty of time to develop while the supporting characters were brought in as separate story lines that all tie together to the main storyline surrounding Thor. Basically, Thor is not needed in every scene to make the supporting characters work as it should be. I know it sounds logical but you be surprise how many movies can't accomplish this.


Since it is a fantasy movie, the fighting scenes are based on fantasy but are very believable as you watch it. Come on it is fantasy! It is ok that Thor flies with a hammer and beats up giant frost men from another realm. You'll enjoy it, pure and simple.

As for the upcoming Avengers movie, the writers and Marvel have done a great job of  beginning to intertwine all their movies. You will see small surprises that help push the Avengers together. I'm not going to ruin these for you, but you will see them and then understand what I am talking about. If Thor has anything to show for how good Avengers could be, I quote Samuel L. Jackson, "Hold onto your butts".



Thor is fun and entertaining. It doesn't go over your head. At the end you will understand that Thor can and does exist. You will be excited to see the next coming films. I think Marvel has done it again. Ironman has been made a popular icon and the same will happen with Thor. Thor is this year's Ironman. It is a surprise hit that we as comic book fans were all hoping for. It is easy to say the Marvel has their shit together. They are not going to half ass telling their stories. Let's all hope the trend continues onto Captain America later this year. If Thor is a sign of what is to come, I am even more stoked to see this year's summer blockbusters.

As for a rating, Thor teeters on the edge of Awesome and Legendary. Last night right after the movie I would have say yes straight to the top, but today I started thinking how it there is more to be done. I want my mind to so elated after the movie that there is no question. Thor gets an A for Awesome.

Go see this movie right away!!!

No comments: