Monday, May 19, 2014

Godzilla!!

I wanted to wait a bit to write this review.
The reason why? I wanted to see what other people had to say about this movie.

Mainly I wanted to hear from my friends.  I wanted to be certain I wasn't the only one. I wanted to know that it wasn't just I trying to hold this film to higher standards.

Let's get this straight. Every scene featuring Godzilla was spectacular! I expect only the best when it was reported that this new Godzilla would take 450 years to create on a single computer. The monster battle scenes were thrilling, engaging and just simply awesome. The only thing is that you expect a movie called Godzilla to actually show more Godzilla.

Seriously there is maybe 20 minutes total of Godzilla in this two hour film.

Well, that wasn't the worst of it. The story was bad. I am talking really bad. There were so many problems with it.

As many regular readers may know, I try not give any spoilers to the movies I post on this blog. So I am not going to get too deep into the story. I am not going to tell you about anything what happens. I just try to give my honest opinion and reasoning behind whether or not you should go see it.

As for the story, I could care less. The writers try SO hard to get you to care about these "human" characters that they lose focus on the characters that really matter, i.e. Godzilla. They try to get you to believe that the humans can be the deciding factor in a world of gigantic monsters. When actually the people would be like ants to Godzilla and he wouldn't notice nor even care about their presence. Also the tone of the story can not be determined. It attempts to be super serious based in reality, but then tries to have corny moments that made the original Godzilla movies so entertaining. Both can not co-exist in this film. (I am so close to spoiling these moments....I can't stand it!!)

I was completely frustrated with this movie. I feel as if I try to tell you anymore, I may drop a few hints about what happens. I even thought about posting an update in a few weeks ripping it apart. But I am not going to do that. If I did, this blog becomes nothing more than another movie review site with a pompous writer who believes he knows way more about cinema than you would ever know.

So instead I will leave it with this.

Godzilla is worth a viewing. Maybe not in a theater. You could wait to see it at home with your HD TV and surround sound. On the other hand I could be completely wrong. I've seen a few Facebook posts stating that people loved it, but I think they were just mystified by the incredible Godzilla images to even care about the story.

Although if you do decide to see it in the theater, don't blame me. I warned you.

Godzilla gets an e - Entertained


Some parts I liked. Some I hated. The negatives out weighed the positives for me. You may be different.


Here is a reminder of the new and improved rating system


L - Legendary
E - Exceptional
G - Gratifying 
e - Entertained
n - Nugatory
d - Dreadful


Next Week... X-Men: Days of Futures Past.        

Hoping for the best from that one.

No comments: