Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2


Finally I saw this movie about four days late. I was pretty mad about missing it the first time, but what can you do, right.

So the tale continues. Amazing Spider-Man 2 has the tag line 'His Greatest Battle Begins'. So this film is pretty much a two hour set up for the next one. Ugh

I will start with telling what I liked. 

The visual effects were great. Finally they are capturing the essence of Spider-Man as he swings through NYC. Everything is more detailed from the way Spider-Man controls his webbing to how his body and even suit reacts to wind resistance. Even his Spider Sense has been enhanced to the point where you can imagine it is more like a web connected to his world instead of just a warning system.

Many don't, but I like the new look of his villains. Electro transforming to be more like pure electricity works for the world they are creating that is wrapped around Oscorp. Again the visual effects of Electro were great. His electricity had plenty of detail and looks to be an extension of his body instead of cartoon lightning bolts. Even the Green Goblin transformation is good on a deeper level. They are not trying to hit the viewers over the head with origin story. You get the chance to imagine the result is part of a deeper plot that can't be seen in the movie. It already exists in the world created.

The real star of the film is the love story between Peter and Gwen. It could almost stand alone as its own movie. You get the sense that Peter and Gwen really love each other and want the best for the other even if it breaks them up. Of course you will still need the Spider-Man part to move the plot along, and as result the actions of Spider-Man effects their relationship more than they could account.

There are a lot of hidden "Easter Eggs" throughout the movie that are buried for the true comic book fan. I won't explain them and if you are not a big fan of Spider-Man comics you will miss them

What I didn't like

Rhino. Completely misused. The trailer relieves the whole Rhino vs Spider-Man battle.

The fight scenes with the villains needed more time. Electro fight scene was pretty cool, visually, but it seemed to fly right by.  I think I blinked and missed the Green Goblin. Again, it was all about setting up the future movies. I am hoping we will see a lot more of these villains by ASM 6.


Overall I liked the movie. Not sure what to rate it because I would have given it a much higher rating if I saw it all in one sitting. The second viewing helped take me down my excitement a notch. Plus I forgot the rating system. I will get back to you on that.

I would say definitely go see the movie in the theater. It is loud and stunning to the eye. See it in 3D! I wish I did.

No comments: