Friday, May 25, 2012

MIB 3


Back in 1997, we had this:



Then in 2002, we had this:



Now it's 2012 and we have this:


Now what's wrong with this picture?  That's right!  Albeit, "Back in Time" by Pitbull is a catchy track, a "Men in Black" movie just doesn't seem right without Will Smith providing the theme song for it!

When I first heard that MIB 3 was going into production, my inner 16 year old jumped for joy!  But then I started hearing rumors about production being plagued by creative differences, script rewrites, Will Smith being a bit a of a diva on set, etc.  Then the news of Pitbull providing the theme song hit and all hopes and dreams of a great movie came tumbling down.

Now here we are...May 25th 2012 and I just came out of the midnight showing...WOW!  The movie definitely captured the essence that made the first movie so great.  The chemistry between agents J & K is as witty as it was and even more so with a younger Agent K being played by Josh Brolin!  He got Tommy Lee Jones down to a T!  He nailed everything!  From his facial expressions, to the way he talked was spot on!  One of the things I liked about the MIB franchise was the movie's ability to include the aliens but not making them "all up in your face."  They just made them seem like they're part of everyday life, which they are in the MIB universe.  Seeing the Men in Black operation in the 60's was pretty cool.  They really tapped into the stereotypical, retro, science fiction alien looks too.  

Without spoiling too much of the traveling back in time plot to save Agent K, the movie definitely comes full circle.  In my opinion, fans of the franchise will be pleased.  I know I was.

I give this move an "A" for Awesome simply because in my opinion, it was.  The movie brings a viewer like me, a fan since the original, a sense of nostalgia.  It takes you "back in time," with an essence that makes you feel like your 16 again for a couple hours.

So grab your popcorn and cherry coke and get ready to time travel!

P.S.  Randomness: if you were to put all the theme song titles together you'd come up with "Here come the Men in Black" while you "Nod ya head" "Back in Time."

It's 4am, I'm tired...don't judge.  LOL!



No comments: