Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Gatsby....Old Sport

When a movie is adapted from a book, I am a flip-flopper on reading the book before or after I see the movie. You may remember I discussed this in an earlier post.

I truly wanted to read The Great Gatsby before I saw the film. It is thought to be a piece of classical literature, and I also wanted to be familiar with the characters before the movie painted them for me. I really tried. I downloaded the book onto my Kindle, but I kept falling asleep when ever I attempted to read it. The beginning is SOOOOO boring!!

Yet this is not a book review. So onto..

The Great Gatsby


First off, this film is visually stunning, which is excepted by now with films made by Baz Lurhmann. I really enjoyed the various visual techniques. There are too many to go into detail. It is very colorful and vibrant. The scenes are well crafted to stimulate your eyes.

The story is a simple love story. Although I was surprised with a turn it took at the climax. I guess that is a treat for not reading the book first.

I was a bit put off on the choice to use modern day hip hop music (mainly songs by Jay Z) as the score at certain moments throughout the film. It is true that Jay Z is an executive producer, but isn't this movie suppose to be an era film. I thought the the Jay Z songs were a distraction. Who knows what they were thinking. Maybe they thought "kids" today couldn't understand why people in the 1920's would be dancing and partying to big band or jazz music. I just disliked it, plain and simple.

What I did like was Leonardo DiCaprio. He is great in every film that he stars in. He doesn't really transform himself into the character. Leo is always just playing Leo, but man, isn't he great at it. I think they should have kept this role a secret so you would be excited once it is relieved that he is Gatsby. But fat chance that ever happening in our social media world of instant gratification.

I also really like the antagonist Tom Buchanan, played by Joel Edgerton.


I know the audience is suppose to dislike this character because he is in the way of the love story, but I felt he was the most relatable character. Sure he has flaws and secrets that everyone knows about but he still tries to maintain  his dignity. I like his acceptance of his role in society. Where as the other characters all wanted something more, and they can't have it.

In the end I liked the movie, just not all that much. It is a good movie to rent on DVD.

I give The Great Gatsby an e - Entertaining.

You may like it for its visuals. You may even be part of the few who like the modern music sprinkled throughout. It can be a movie to like. I just don't see it ever becoming a classic. If you want a classic, read the book.

I think I will give the book one more shot, Old Sport!




Here is the new and improved rating system


L - Legendary
E - Exceptional
G - Gratifying 
e - Entertained
n - Nugatory
d - Dreadful


Next Up.... Star Trek Into Darkness

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice review. The cast does what they can, but the direction isn’t too concerned with them. It’s all style, all the time.